There’s no better way to impressive that special someone, than by whisking them away to a fabulous European city. Whether you’re looking for a ‘quickie’ weekend away, the perfect honeymoon, or inspiration for that picture-perfect spot to pop the question, we’ve picked some great locations and activities, sure to melt the heart of any visitor.
1. Paris – Considered to be one of the most romantic destinations in the world, Paris is rich in art, culture, cuisine and fine wines – a sure combination to ignite the flames of any romantic getaway. Treat your partner to a trip up the Eiffel Tower to appreciate breath-taking views of the city, stroll hand-in-hand along the banks of the Seine, and capture your special moment outside the Sacre-Coeur with a portrait of the two of you, sketched by one of the many local artists.
2. Rome – When visiting Rome with your loved one, you’ll be swept up by the Italian romantic atmosphere, radiating from the city’s stunning landmarks, mouth-watering cuisine and panoramic views. The Eternal City is known to inspire public displays of affection, from both locals and tourists alike. This feeling of passion is infectious and hopeless romantics can enjoy a candle-lit dinner cruise down the Tiber, or a horse-drawn carriage from the Spanish Steps, through the charming streets of Rome. The enchanting Trevi Fountain is a magnificent spot to share a kiss, beautifully illuminated by night, and legend has it, that if 2 coins are thrown into the fountain, it will lead to good luck and a new romance, and three to marriage or divorce…
3. Barcelona - Barcelona has an abundance of intimate spots to enjoy with your partner, from beautiful beaches with stunning sunsets to tranquil parks and cosy restaurants. Barcelona’s picturesque beaches are perfect for a romantic stroll along the Mediterranean, or for more energetic couples, they also offers many water sports. The Magic Fountain is a must for hopeless romantics, with spectacular colourful water and music displays, located outside of Barcelona Palace, and for those moved by architecture, a tour of La Sagrada Familia will have any love-struck couple swooning over Gaudi’s iconic masterpiece.
4. London – A romantic getaway to London is unforgettable for any visitor, and you simply need to stroll along the banks of the River Thames at dusk to be encapsulated by the city’s charming ambience. A panoramic view of the city skyline and illuminated landmarks are best appreciated taking an evening trip on the London Eye, where couples can snuggle up to each other in their glass capsule. Watch a romantic movie at Somerset House on the beautiful outdoor cinema, or during the festive season, skate hand-in-hand with your loved one on London’s largest outdoor ice-rink. A romantic experience of London is not complete without a trip to one of Leicester Square’s famous theatre productions, or a stroll through the quaint markets of Covent Garden.
5. Budapest – Many consider Budapest to be the most beautiful city in Europe with its stunning architecture and profound history. The most romantic way to explore the city is to meander down the River Danube on your evening river cruise, to appreciate the magnificent landmarks that line the river banks, such as Buda Castle, Gellert Hill and Hungarian Parliament. A trip to one of Budapest’s many thermal baths and springs, is the ideal activity for couples looking to relax, along with a trip to the tranquil and car-free parks of Margaret Island. A romantic evening can be enjoyed at Buda Castle, with wine tasting in its labyrinth of underground corridors and storage rooms.